About 225g sustainable white fish fillets (we used haddock), skin off
225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
285ml Lucky Saint
3 heaped teaspoons baking powder
Sunflower oil (for frying)
Salt and pepper
- Pour the sunflower oil into a deep fat fryer or a large sturdy pan and heat it to 190°C
- Mix ½ a teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper together, and season the fish fillets on both sides to remove excess water
- Whisk the flour, Lucky Saint and baking powder together until thickened and shiny
- Prepare two bowls – one with extra flour and one with your batter mix. One by one, dust each fish fillet in a little of the extra flour, then dip into the batter, coat evenly, and lift to let any excess drip off.
- Carefully lower the fish into the oil, one at a time. You may be able to cook a couple at once, depending on the size of your fryer or pan.
- Cook for a few minutes until the fish is cooked through and the batter is golden and crisp, then remove and place on kitchen paper to drain any excess oil.
- Serve hot with homemade chips and mushy peas.