Mildred's Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
Our friends at Mildred's, London's leading plant-based restaurant, have shared the recipe for their comforting Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff. Packed with a variety of umami-rich mushrooms, with the addition of Lapsang souchong for a slightly smoky flavour, this hearty, healthy dish pairs perfectly with our crisp and citrusy alcohol-free lager.
1kg mushrooms (mixed), trimmed
30g olive oil
2 onions finely sliced
2 tbsp minced garlic
4 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped and roughly chopped
2 lapsang souchong tea bags
1 tbsp paprika
500ml vegan cream substitute
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp cornflour
1 bunch dill (40g), chopped
Salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC / 170ºC fan / Gas Mark 5 and boil a kettle with 600ml water.
2. Cut the mushrooms into even, bite-sized pieces. Drizzle a little olive oil into a roasting tin, add the mushrooms with a pinch of salt and pepper and chopped thyme leaves and mix together thoroughly. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender, but not shrivelled. Set aside.
3. Infuse the tea bags for about 4 minutes in the boiling water.
4. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan for over a medium heat and sauté the onions until they start to colour and caramelise, add the thyme and garlic and paprika and continue to sauté for a further few minutes.
5. Remove the tea bags from the tea and discard the tea bags. Pour the liquid into the pan with the onions and cook until liquid has reduced by half.
6. Next add the paprika, Dijon mustard, tomato puree and vegan cream. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, allowing the cream to reduce and the sauce to thicken slightly. At no point allow the mixture to boil or it will split.
7. Mix the cornflour with a little water in a small bowl to form a smooth paste and add to the mixture. Add the roasted mushrooms and their roasting juices and cook for a further 5 minutes until thickened and glossy, remove from stove and add the chopped dill and serve with rice or smooth mashed potatoes.